The Public Universities Risk Management & Insurance Trust provides support to Oregon’s seven public higher education campuses through a comprehensive strategic enterprise risk management function that focuses on the risks associated with life safety, reputation, financial, compliance, and operational exposures. This is accomplished through the application of risk financing to include risk transfer and risk retention, and through the implementation of risk controls including risk assessments, training and compliance awareness and monitoring.
Through these programs, we provide a shared service to enhance the culture of risk awareness on our campuses in an integrated and sustainable manner through the three strategies noted below:
- Best Practices: the Risk Council will utilize best practices for communication, training, education, data collection, and processes to improve the execution and consistency of the management of risk within the Oregon University System.
- Accountability: the Risk Council will continue to hold people accountable for their successes and failures to mitigate losses.
- Return on Investment: the Risk Council will continue to track and monitor risk to better inform and determine the risk appetite of the institutions and align risk management strategies with the mission of the public universities.
The Public Universities Risk Management & Insurance Trust is overseen by a Board of Trustees consisting of one representative from each of the member institutions. This group provides the strategic oversight for the program. The Risk Council, consisting of the Risk Management leaders from each member institution, conducts the day-to-day transactions and risk mitigation for the program. These activities include integrating risk awareness with campus strategic partners including General Counsel, Internal Audit, Academic Strategies, Student Affairs, Student Health, Research, International Programs, Human Resources, Environmental Health & Safety, Procurement, Security, Facilities and Capital Planning.
Links to each of the University Risk Management Websites can be found below:
- Eastern Oregon University
- Oregon Institute of Technology
- Oregon State University
- Portland State University
- Southern Oregon University
- University of Oregon
- Western Oregon University
Eastern Oregon University, Oregon Institute of Technology, Oregon State University, Portland State University, Southern Oregon University, University of Oregon, and Western Oregon University are each separate legal entities and claims and tort notices involving any of them should be sent to the individual universities.
- Ryan Britz